Hollywood celebrities as well as European catwalks are celebrating Summer with the feminine hemlines of the maxi and midi skirst. Yes, the mini has been taken over by the midi and the maxi. Wow,that’s a mouthful! Although us Aussies down under are a season behind who says we have to wait to follow the latest trends. The maxi and midi skirts work wonderfully layered with a fitted leather jacket, a textured scarf and ankle boots. So get in early for summer and play around with these hemlines in winter.
To be completely honest with you, I was never a fan of maxi dresses and skirts and then became even more fearful of the idea of the midi length option. I felt too short to take on these lengths. However, I always like to experiment with new trends and did so in this post. To my surprise I saw how much the maxi skirt in particular elongated my height.
Before I go on, those of you confused with the term ‘midi’ and ‘maxi.’ A midi skirt refers to a hemline that touches the calf and covers the knees and thighs. Whereas the ‘Maxi’ skirt refers to the ultimate length, reaching down to the ankles.
I sourced some amazing midi and maxi skirts to shoot for this post. I have styled them all for winter. At the bottom of each look I have selected some similar skirts available for purchase through online shops. This enables you to replicate the looks if you like.
I encourage you all to experiment with these two hemlines and consider adding them to your winter wardrobe as they look incredible with the right ankle boot, wedge or clog. The best part about these skirts are that you are guaranteed to wear them in summer as well as winter.
Enjoy the looks and I’d love to hear any feedback you have.
I’m wearing a vintage maxi skirt, white t-shirt (sorry can’t remember where from), White Suede leather jacket, vintage necklace , Fiorelli flats and bag available through Dusty Petals shop.
1. ‘Don’t Ask Amanda’ plain maxi skirt: $59.95 http://www.generalpants.com.au
2. ‘Don’t Ask Amanda’ classic midi skirt, $79.95, http://www.generalpants.com.au
3. Aparis Polka Dot Maxi Skirt, $37.00 www.axparis.co.uk
4. A.L.C. Luca abstract-print silk maxi skirt , $940.00 www.net-a-porter.com
5. Top Shop green maxi skirt , $75.00, www.topshop.com
6. American Apparel plaid double-layered full length skirt, 93.00 http://store.americanapparel.com.au
7. Sportsgirl ‘Bella Mia’ pleat skirt: $89.95 http://www.sportsgirl.com.au
8. Sportsgirl luxe mocha skirt, $89.95 http://www.sportsgirl.com.au
FLOWY FLORAL FUN
Here I have teamed a soft, flowing, finely pleated midi skirt with an Alannah Hill fur trimmed wrap (bought many years ago now), a Sunny Girl blazer, Nine West studded shoes and vintage clutch.
1. ASOS Vintage Floral Chiffon Maxi Skirt, $68.50, http://www.asos.com
2. ASOS Colour-Block Maxi Skirt, $68.50, http://www.asos.com
3. ASOS Pleated Maxi Skirt, $77.06 http://www.asos.com
4. American Apparel Long Accordion- Pleat Skirt, $85.00 http://store.americanapparel.com.au
5. ASOS Jersey Maxi Skirt reduced to $20.55 http://www.asos.com
6. ASOS Mesh and Chiffon Maxi Skirt, $85.63 http://www.asos.com
7. ASOS Pleated Maxi Skirt, $77.06 http://www.asos.com
8. Forever New pleated printed maxi, $89.99 http://www.forevernew.com.au/
BUTTON ME UP MIDI
I love buttoned up midi skirts. They have this quaint and feminine feel to them. I am wearing a vintage buttoned up midi skirt, cardigan, belt and clutch.
1. DOLCE VITA SKIRT GWEN SKIRT, $ 148.66 http://www.shopbop.com
2. Top Shop BLACK ROSE PRINT SILK MIDI SKIRT $97.46 www.topshop.com
3. Top Shop BUTTON SKIRT BY BOUTIQE, $89.96, www.topshop.com
4. TIBI Lillian Midi Skirt $170.96 http://www.shopbop.com
5. 2. ‘Don’t Ask Amanda’ classic midi skirt, $79.95, http://www.generalpants.com.au
6. ASOS Button Through Midi Skirt, $59.94 http://www.asos.com
MIDI STRIPE FUN
Here I’m wearing a striped midi skirt from Cotton on. It originally was a maxi skirt however I cut it to midi length. I’ve styled the skirt with a Forever New blazer, vintage shirt, wedges from Lion In Love and bag which is available through Dusty Petals Shop.
1. Top Shop CORAL SHEER STRIPE MAXI SKIRT, $41.98 www.topshop.com
2. BB Dakota Nikki Midi Bodycon Skirt $69.00 http://www.urbanoutfitters.com
3. Sparkle & Fade Striped Knee Length Skirt, $49.00 http://www.urbanoutfitters.com
4. Top Shop NAVY SKINNY STRIPE PENCIL SKIRT , $47.98 www.topshop.com
5. Sportsgirl midi stripe tube skirt, $59.95 http://www.sportsgirl.com.au
6. Ladies stripe maxi skirt, $21.00 www.peacocks.co.uk
Below I have included some designer midi skirts along with some affordable ones.
1. PREEN Box wool-crepe skirt $1281.32 (I know it’s a bit pricey but if only… http://www.net-a-porter.com
2. YVES SAINT LAURENT Leather A-line skirt , $7354.00 http://www.net-a-porter.com
3. MIU MIU CREPE MIDI SKIRT $481.05 http://www.net-a-porter.com
4. ASOS Heart Print Midi Skirt, 59.94 http://www.asos.com
5. ASOS Pleated Midi Skirt, $68.50, http://www.asos.com
6. Top Shop YELLOW LEAF PRINT BUTTON FRONT MIDI, $82.46 www.topshop.com
Here are some celebrities taking on the maxi skirt and working it with a fitted leather jacket.
Images courtesy of Google Images.
I hope you enjoyed sharing the midi/maxi skirts I styled. Happy Shopping!
DON’T FORGET DUSTY PETALS LATEST LOOKS FOR SALE CLOSES WEDNESDAY 6TH JULY!
So get it quick!